We know how busy you and your family are, which is why our team at Hour Glass Optical in Montgomery and Prattville strives to provide comprehensive eye exams at your convenience. We have two locations for your convenience, and most prescriptions are filled within the hour. Walk-ins are welcome, but you may have to wait if someone with an appointment is ahead of you. We work this way because we understand how difficult it can be to schedule an eye exam.
Vision Exams Are an Important Part of Healthcare
A doctor will examine your child's eyes at birth, checking for basic health. Your pediatrician can usually do the screenings until your child is 5 unless there are early signs of problems. Around the age of 5, an eye doctor can start doing regular vision screenings to ensure that your child's vision is developing normally.
Children may only need a regular vision exam if their eyes are healthy. During a basic vision screening, an eye doctor will determine if an individual needs vision correction, such as glasses or contact lenses. Your optometrist can determine when you need to start scheduling comprehensive exams.
Comprehensive Eye Exams
During a comprehensive eye exam, your eye doctor will check for other problems. Here are the kinds of tests you can expect during a comprehensive eye exam:
- A test of visual acuity will assess how clearly you see. Your eye doctor will probably use a vision chart to test how well you see objects close and far away.
- General preliminary tests will test different aspects of eye function, such as depth perception, peripheral vision, and how well your eyes respond to light. Your doctor may be able to see early signs of high blood pressure or diabetes.
- Your doctor will test your eye pressure to check for early signs of glaucoma.
Contact Lens Exams
Contact lens exams include all the items in a comprehensive exam plus a few more.
- Tests of keratometry or topography measure the curvature of the cornea. Your eye doctor uses these tests to help find the right fit.
- A tear film evaluation will make sure your eyes can stay moist enough to wear contact lenses comfortably.
Contact Our Eye Doctors in Montgomery and Prattville, AL
Are you looking for an eye doctor near you? At Hour Glass Optical, we understand how important it is to develop a relationship with your eye doctor. When you go back to the same optometrist every year, your eye doctor will be better able to notice even very small changes in your vision. We can help you get the most accurate prescription and top-quality eyewear while keeping your eyes healthy. Call today for an appointment.